14 December 2010

Holiday Spirit: Paper Snowflake Pt 1


I used to love making paper snowflakes when I was little.  Surprisingly I haven't tried it in a while, but the other day, while trying to think of more ways to decorate our place, I gave it another shot.

I have to admit that my first few snowflakes were not snowflakes at all.  They turned out kind of wonky so I did a little research on how to actually fold them.  There are actually several different ways to fold and cut the snow flakes, the traditional 6-sided flakes is probably what we all did in grade school, but you can also make 5-sided snowflakes & 8-sided snowflakes!

Over the weekend I cut a variety of snowflakes and here are a few of my favourites so far:
Once the snowflakes were cut I ironed them on the lowest setting between sheets of parchment paper to get rid of the major creases. You could also put the flakes between the pages of a heavy book for a while to press them completely flat.

I'm not quite sure what to do with them yet, so I just keep adding to my pile.  Stay tuned though, I'll be posting later on how I've decided to use them.




If snowflakes aren't your thing try 5-pointed folded stars or 7-pointed stars instead.  I think these would look really great using brown paper, or book pages, or any kind of printed paper (i.e. pages from the left over phone book from my paper wreath)

1 comment:

  1. Nice snow flakes!!! Can't wait to see how you put them together!!!! Looking forward to the finished product :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...